By Dwight Goddard
An advent to Zen Buddhism.
Published via Beacon Press, fifth printing, 1996.
Read or Download A Buddhist Bible PDF
Similar other eastern religions & sacred texts books
This publication explains the Buddhist doctrine of annatt? (''not-self''), which denies the lifestyles of any self, soul, or enduring essence in guy. the writer relates this doctrine to its cultural and historic context, really to its Brahman historical past. He exhibits how the Theravada Buddhist culture has developed a philosophical and mental account of non-public id at the it seems that very unlikely foundation of the denial of self.
Thomas Cleary's new translation of 2 chinese language classics describing the basic philosophy and perform of Tao, written some time past as maps of ways: 'Tao Te Ching' and 'Chuang-tzu'. Cleary's presentation restores the facility and mind-opening distinct
Ramana used to be a silent instructor, if there has been one. it'd be extra acceptable to name him the Silent One, for instructing denotes duality, the instructor and taught, whereas Ramana was once, as a devotee wrote, the natural Non-dual Essence. His so much direct and profound instructing used to be transmitted in silence. in spite of the fact that, what number have been there which may instantly listen or event the unstated, the unwritten note?
The tale of chinese language Zen starts with the idea that the weather in the course of Shakyamuni's founding of Buddhism in India eventually motivated the diversities in the back of Hinayana and Mahayana suggestion, perform, and strategies of looking attention. From there - starting with its transmission to China - grasp Nan outlines the Zen tuition, exploring affects at the improvement of Zen ahead of the early T'ang dynasty, various technique of learning Zen and pursuing the guts and aim of Zen.
- The Origins of the Bahá’í Community of Canada, 1898-1948
- Law of Karma: A Philosophical Study
- Narrating Karma and Rebirth: Buddhist and Jain Multi-Life Stories
- Essentials of Neo-Confucianism: Eight Major Philosophers of the Song and Ming Periods (Resources in Asian Philosophy and Religion)
- Woman As Fire, Woman As Sage: Sexual Ideology in the Mahabharata (S U N Y Series in Religious Studies)
Additional info for A Buddhist Bible
Thus, for example, he keeps firmly in his mind a favourable object of concentration that has arisen, as the mental image of a skeleton, of a corpse infested by worms, of a corpse riddled with holes, of a corpse swollen up. This is called the effort to maintain. (M. 70) T ru ly the disciple, who is possessed of faith and has penetrated the Teaching of the Master, is filled with the thought; May rather skin, sinews and bones wither away, may the flesh and blood of my body dry up; I shall not give up my efforts so long as I have not attained whatever is attain able by manly perseverance, energy and endeavour!
274-75) Truly, like this path there is no other path to the purity of insight. If you follow this path, you will put an end to suffering. (Dhp. 276) But each one has to struggle for himself, the Per fect Ones have only pointed out the way. (M. 26) Give ear then, for the Immortal is found. I reveal, I set forth the Truth. As I reveal it to you, so act! And that supreme goal of the holy life, for the sake of which sons of 34 SELECTIONS FROM PALI SOURCES good families go forth from home to the homeless state: this you will, in no long time, in this very life, make known to yourself, realise and attain to it.
96) And released from Sensual Craving, released from the Craving for Existence, he does not return, does not enter again into existence. 12) For, through the total fading away and extinction of Craving (tanha) Clinging to Existence (upadana) is extin guished; thjrough the extinction of the clinging to existence the (action-) Process of Becoming (Bhava) is extinguished; through the extinction of the process of becoming Rebirth (jati) is extinguished; and through the extinction of rebirth 32 SELECTIONS FROM PALI SOURCES Decay and Death, sorrow, lamentation, suffering, grief and despair are extinguished.