By Diane Bolger
An authoritative advisor on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main updated, complete insurance of gender archaeology, with an unique concentrate on prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to exams of present traits and customers for destiny research
- Focuses on fresh 3rd Wave techniques to the learn of gender in early human societies, hard heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features a number of neighborhood and thematic subject matters authored via validated experts within the field, with incisive assurance of gender study in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read Online or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Similar archaeology books
This good illustrated, full-color, site-by-site survey of prehistory captures the preferred curiosity, pleasure, and visible attractiveness of archaeology because it offers perception into the study, interpretations, and theoretical subject matters within the box. the hot variation keeps the authors' cutting edge strategies to 2 critical difficulties of the direction: first, the textual content keeps to target approximately eighty websites, giving scholars much less encyclopedic aspect yet crucial assurance of the discoveries that experience produced the most important insights into prehistory; moment, it remains to be equipped into essays on websites and ideas, permitting professors whole flexibility in organizing their classes.
Through the Eighteen Eighties an enormous medical attempt used to be introduced through the Smithsonian establishment to find who had equipped the prehistoric burial mounds discovered in the course of the United States. Arkansaw Mounds tells the tale of this exploration and of Edward Palmer, one of many 19th century’s maximum ordinary historians and archaeologists, who was once recruited to guide the study undertaking.
Strains the advance of army strategies and such goods as swords, spears, long-range guns, artillery, and physique coverings from prehistory to Roman occasions.
"Most humans on the earth this day imagine democracy and gender equality are reliable, and that violence and wealth inequality are undesirable. yet most folk who lived throughout the 10,000 years earlier than the 19th century idea simply the other. Drawing on archaeology, anthropology, biology, and historical past, Ian Morris, writer of the best-selling Why the West Rules--for Now, explains why.
- The History of the Jewish People in the Age of Jesus Christ: 175 B.C. to A.D. 135, Volume 2 (New Revised English Edition)
- Quantitative Analysis in Archaeology
- Baths and Bathing in Classical Antiquity
- Mission Archeologique de Macedoine
- Prehistoric Exchange Systems in North America, 1st Edition
Extra resources for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
Bolger, Diane, 2004 Gender in Ancient Cyprus: Narratives of Social Change on a Mediterranean Island. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira. Bolger, Diane, 2006 Gender and Human Evolution. In Handbook of Gender in Archaeology. S. M. Nelson, ed. Pp. 453–501. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. , 2008 Gender through Time in the Ancient Near East. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. indd 15 8/28/2012 2:59:55 PM 16 DIANE BOLGER Bolger, Diane, 2010 The Dynamics of Gender in Early Agricultural Societies of the Near East. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 35(1):503–531.
733–783. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. , 1991 Women’s Labor and Pottery Production in Prehistory. In Engendering Archaeology: Women and Prehistory. J. M. Gero and M. W. Conkey, eds. Pp. 194–223. Oxford: Blackwell. , 1996 Gender and Archaeology. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. Wylie, Alison, 1991 Gender Theory and the Archaeological Record: Why Is There No Archaeology of Gender? In Engendering Archaeology: Women and Prehistory. J. M. Gero and M. W. Conkey, eds. Pp. 31–54. Oxford: Blackwell.
Sarah M. , 1994 Equity Issues for Women in Archeology. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association 5. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association. Papaconstantinou, Demetra, 2002 Life Cycles and the Dynamics of Domestic Architecture: Households in Neolithic Cyprus. In Engendering Aphrodite: Women and Society in Ancient Cyprus. D. Bolger and N. Serwint, eds. Pp. 33–51. CAARI Monographs 3. Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research. , 2006 Deconstructing Context: A Critical Approach to Archaeological Practice.